Episode 5 Fact 1: The Wall


The wall is considered a symbol of racial segregation by the Palestinians and is often called the 'apartheid wall'. Israel calls it a security barrier. At present it runs approximately 450 kilometres with close to 85% of it inside Palestinian territory. The remaining 15% is nearly double the length of 'the green line' meaning that in most instances it separates Palestine from Palestine, rather than Palestine from Israel.


The wall has many negative effects on Palestinians including reduced freedoms, loss of land, increased difficulty in accessing medical and educational services, restricted access to water sources and economic effects.

During the construction process Israel regularly destroys large amounts of Palestinian farmland and has already usurped water supplies including the biggest water aquifer in the West Bank, diverting 87% to Israel and leaving the Palestinians with only 13%.

According to municipal sources, on completion the wall will be over 700 kilometres long and will annex approximately 45% of the West Bank - meaning that nearly half of the Palestinian territories will have been taken by the Israeli Government for illegal Jewish settlements as well as the exploitation of natural resources located on Palestinian lands.

Palestinians assert that Israel seeks to annex their land, via the wall, under the guise of security. They also state that the process undermines peace negotiations by unilaterally establishing new borders.  

The International Court of Justice found the barrier to be a violation of International Law and the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution that condemned the barrier by a vote of 150-6 with only 10 abstensions. 

Sources: UNOCHA, B'tselem.

Wall 2.jpg
Episode FactsClea Pettit